F1 driver bookings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grafter

Number of posts : 2114
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: F1 driver bookings   Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:01 am

It all appears a bit of a mess with the present booking in system.......drivers being told they can't have a booking.........drivers thinking they have booked in but are not on the list.........drivers booking in late/canceling late (or not bothering to tell).........promoters ringing around checking on all drivers they have contacts for.........drivers committee members putting pleas on forums for drivers to book in. Surely in this day and age the concept of communication has not been lost in the world of oval racing?
Either the promoter who is putting on the event takes responsibility for setting a booking in policy (Trackstar had one on their website running up to last weekends meeting stating that F1 drivers booking in late would be penalised and turning up at the gate without booking in would result in no start money and only the driver being allowed in for free) and doing the leg work in contacting all eligable drivers (simple if the BSCDA provide them them with a contacts list and then most drivers could be sent a text message in one go). Other than that it should be the duty of the BSCDA to provide the promoter with a list of drivers wishing to race 7 days prior to the event.....it would look so much more professional  scratch 
Back to top Go down
tim1203

Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:42 pm

It's like most things F1 Grafter, all done on the back of a fag packet.
it comes down to enforcing driver discipline, book in a week ahead or you do not race, simple. Either that or forget all about booking in and have a "if you turn up, you race" policy. Or I suppose there is the make up a driver list and see who actually turns up approach, works for some Smile
Back to top Go down
steven

Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Why or why would it be done ' on the back of a fag packet' for goodness sake!!!!!!

Various different methods have been used over the years to 'encourage' bookings from drivers including reduced / n ostart money, fines for booking and not cancelling - the job lot - NOTHING GOES ROUND IN CIRCLES MORE THAN STOCK CARS!!!!

It was wholly better before the craving and demand for booking lists 'online' however, promoters do to meet print deadlines, require early lists which also help plan a format. None or few turn away drivers OR on spec or last minute bookings. It would be desirable for ALL drivers to book in 7 days before the event - something everyone would support - BUT produce a system too draconian and drivers who have 'missed' a booking deadline or likely to be penalised, will simply not bother that weekend whereas many do finish repairs later in the week and book - It's not perfect, get them to book in 'well' early and they forget they have booked or suddenly remember and you get a raft of 'last minute' cancellations. It's something to see what can be improved - more importantly it's about cars on track whenever they book. To say it is done on the back of a fag packet is quite frankly insulting to all involved, sorry if that offends,
Back to top Go down
tim1203

Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Dosn't offend at all Steve, just expressing the PERCEPTION we get over such things. One of the worst things ever to come in to F1's is booking lists, simply because they're so innacurate.
But sorry, still cant see how something so simple as booking in can be so hit and miss
Back to top Go down
dougie

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 am

tim1203 wrote:
Dosn't offend at all Steve, just expressing the PERCEPTION we get over such things. One of the worst things ever to come in to F1's is booking lists, simply because they're so innacurate.
But sorry, still cant see how something so simple as booking in can be so hit and miss

I'm with you Tim. It astonishes me that it's so hit and miss.

Call me old fashioned, but don't we have things like fixtures lists and diaries these days? And if I was pumping huge amounts of time and money into a competing in a sport, I'd sure as s**t remember to make sure I was actually going to be racing!

Back to top Go down
andy11

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 am

So whats been wrong with the booking lists? so far both belle vue and kings lynn had accurate lists with the inevitable 4or 5 non starters but for any undecideds there was a list to go by .
If your a driver and have to book a week in advance you can't know how repairs will go. So if you book and can't honour it, fans don't like it and if you wait to be certain, the promoter dosn't like it.  It is never going to be an exact science most lists are updated as the meeting aproaches so I can't see what more you could ask .....oh yes a booking list for cov Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dougie

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 am

andy11 wrote:
So whats been wrong with the booking lists? so far both belle vue and kings lynn had accurate lists with the inevitable 4or 5 non starters but for any undecideds there was a list to go by .
If your a driver and have to book a week in advance you can't know how repairs will go. So if you book and can't honour it, fans don't like it and if you wait to be certain, the promoter dosn't like it.  It is never going to be an exact science most lists are updated as the meeting aproaches so I can't see what more you could ask .....oh yes a booking list for cov Very Happy

I think far too many people take them seriously. I'm actually expecting someone to take legal action one day because they attended a meeting and driver X was on the list but didn't turn up!  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
steven

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:55 am

I do share the amusing scenario that one day there will be litigation over a booking list lol! 

We have to remember for drivers F1 is a passionate and expensive hobby that revolves around work - also available willing helpers, hence one reason often bookings are late in the week. In our case we get enormous help from Guy Parker who backs us up [ and I believe other promotions ] and he usually texts every driver [ as Coventry did Monday ] to ask if they are attending and he forwards them - however there are usually many who are 'unsure' as to whether they will be ready until mid week as factors such as help, workload, parts and finances have a lot to do with it bearing in mind it is an amateur sport. I suppose we could start producing a list of who has been contacted and 'why' they are not coming or a maybe but that would be overload! It usually is as simple as 'if you can make it your welcome'

I am really unsure how may better we can make it under the circumstances - In most cases booking lists are updated on web sites as the week progresses but usually go upwards and inevitably there will be last minute drop offs. It certainly doesn't 'help' from a programme printing perspective which is why most venues produce a list of bookings at the time of going to print - We want to encourage every driver to be out on track as often as they can manage / afford.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm sure Guy does a sterling job....and phoning around all the drivers is a time consuming task (but it must help keeping in touch and guaging the general feeling amongst drivers at the same time). The picture painted, regarding Coventry bookings does not show this level of communication though......I believe that the BSCDA should be solely responsible for making the promoter aware of drivers coming to race (it is THEIR product).
Steve you mentioned draconian measures.......well you only have to look at the likes of Aldi and see what suppliers of products have to do to get theirs merchandise sold on a special offer (the penalties are great if you don't get "x" numer of good delivered to them on time to sell and they ARE successful).
This is in part linked to the programmes topic I started. As with the need of a programme AND phoning around drivers gone........this would free up a lot of time to promote the sport better.
Back to top Go down
steven

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:15 pm

We are a little different to Aldi - for competitors it is not a paid profession, it is a hobby that nett costs £300 ish every time they take a car out.

To be fair to BSCDA and Guy, suggestion of BSCDA undertaking bookings has been discussed several times in the past - however some promoters wish to keep personal control.
Apart from 'encouraging' drivers where they can to book early which certainly would be a bonus - everyone does go that extra mile!  You cannot 'harras' drivers into making a decision to come to a particular meeting, if I were them to get you off the phone I would probably say OK for some peace - and then cancel. It does have to be a co-operative approach.

As promoters respectfully, we do have the same problem with every formula! Not picking on the enthusiastic V8's who do a sterling job I requested Monday a drivers list for programme for next tuesday's Belle Vue - now thursday, I have not got one - at the opposite end of the scale the dearly beloved F2 Heritage movement had a full list for Saturday with us at the crack of dawn Monday - similar can be said to be fair of Rebels and NMSC in terms of efficiency!
Back to top Go down
A1 NOS

Number of posts : 2182
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Not really sure how good driver lists are.

Half the time what's listed doesn't materialise.

Back to top Go down
http://www.driveandprotect.com
Dave Wayne

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 pm

I think those that complain about slightly inaccurate booking lists forget the work that goes into getting a car on track each week. In the past I have had weeks where I have brought the car home 'in a carrier bag' after a meeting and spent every night during the week working on it just to get out again the following weekend. I was working full time and was employed so couldn't work on the car during working hours, and was then coming home and putting 4/5 hours a night into the car which was kept under a tarpaulin on the drive so all the work was done out in the open. Sometimes, time got the better of us and we were unable to honour a booking. We always tried to let the promoter know but it would have been too late to alter any programmes or booking lists as we didn't usually give up until the day of the meeting when we no longer had time to make it.
I was once supposed to race my Saloon at Crewe, but when we went to load up we got the car halfway onto the trailer when it died with an electrical fault. After several hours of trying to fix it with no success we realised that we weren't going to make it as the time left was less than the journey time. Not my fault, not the promoters fault, just one of those things.
Another example was when I was booked for the F2 British at Mildenhall in 2000. 2 weeks prior to the meeting I ended up spending several nights in Boston hospital due to injuries sustained at the Skegness Speedweekend. Believe it or not, even when I got home on Tuesday night my first thoughts were not to ring RDC Promotions and cancel my booking !! I did get round to it close to the end of the week, but had that meeting been a week earlier then again I would have been booked for a meeting that I couldn't attend through no fault of my own.

On the other side of the coin, I have seen some wildly optimistic booking lists on the internet, with one particular meeting springing to mind.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Carl H

Number of posts : 1686
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 am

F1 and F2 wise, I already know which meetings I'm going (and not going) to this year, and the contents or existance of bookings lists aren't going to change that.

Unless you're one of those people that is besotted with a particular driver and doesn't go to a meeting if your heart throb isn't there, and then when he is you only watch the races that he's in and spend the rest of the time hanging around his transporter with your tongue hanging out, then I'm not that convinced that booking lists play a very big role in whether or not a reasonable number of people will go to a meeting.

Yes, a booking list can sometimes create a bit of discussion on the internet if an unusual or unexpected name appears, but that's about it. You can predict in advance a rough number of cars at any meeting anyway.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 am

Yes Steve it is a hobby.......a very big one! Yes it is a labour of love for little financial reward (even £300 per meeting is slightly optimistic on many occasions - I recall ex F1 #214 saying last year that his outlay per meeting was about £325 per meeting on his tiny budget in 2012 and that had risen a little since moving to the cheaper formula or Rebels in 2013!).
It strikes me as being a little strange that "certain" promoters would want to be in control of the bookings and doing the leg work. Surely it is best for the BSCDA to do this and present a list of drivers wishing to race at the meeting? If there are any issues between drivers and promoters these can then be mediated and resolved in the full knowledge of the parties involved. Plus as I have intimated previously, the person in charge of the bookings, will be able to report back to the comittee if they see a trend when drivers give a reason for saying they will not be able to race and hopefully act upon their findings.
Yes Dave there are always going to be racing/private incidents that require drivers to cancel bookings but this they should try to do.........also they should be able to give an indication of being willing to race at least a week in advance.
Yes Carl, I agree, do away with booking lists! Lets just have a genuine number or divers booked in to race.....keep a little intrigue as to who will be racing.......many of the top drivers have facebook/twitter accounts anyway and their dedicated fans can usually find out if they will be racing anyway.
Back to top Go down
Zep

Number of posts : 2062
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 pm

If I had a stockcar and it was in racing trim, I'd book in before the deadline or cut off point.
However, I might forget and ring up at the last minute. Ssh-tappens!
If my car was broken, and wanted to race, I'd try and fix it.
In the meantime I'd book in, but tell the Promoter I hope to fix it in time.
If by Friday night at 11pm it was not fixed, what do I do, ring the Promoter, leave a message or wait until Saturday or Sunday?
What else could I do? What else could the promoter do?

I went to Hillsborough once to watch Wednesday, my favourite player David Hurst pulled a tendon in the warm up and couldn't play.
I wish I'd known in advance, I wouldn't have gone. You see where I'm coming from?

It's all hypothetical because I don't have a stockcar. I watch them.

I'm not in the privileged position I used be in where I'd do 35 of the 50 meetings in a season.
I don't look at the booking lists. If I want to go to a meeting, I go.

If these stupid, politically correct noise issues escalate, everyone will have to change their attitudes.
Just be happy we've still got a product worth bragging off about, get behind the sport, the Promoters and the drivers or we'll all be racing at Brampton after all.
In a field.
On mud.

Back to top Go down
http://www.mickmarsh.co.uk/stox
carlton

Number of posts : 1575
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Just had a laugh.

On the other side, F1 only forum, complaint from a registered user about lack of cars racing at Hednesford, it progresses to which is the fastest track Hednesford or Ipswich with a comment how is Ipswich (shale) faster than Hednesford !!
Back to top Go down
Zep

Number of posts : 2062
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:10 pm

carlton wrote:
Just had a laugh.

On the other side, F1 only forum, complaint from a registered user about lack of cars racing at Hednesford, it progresses to which is the fastest track Hednesford or Ipswich with a comment how is Ipswich (shale) faster than Hednesford !!

Haha, just read it. When Nige Harrhy mentioned Dildo, I thought he was referring to some of the posters until I read it for a second time...!! lol! 
Back to top Go down
http://www.mickmarsh.co.uk/stox
A1 NOS

Number of posts : 2182
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 pm

How many booked into Scotland?

How many raced?
Back to top Go down
http://www.driveandprotect.com
Spannerman

Number of posts : 6497
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:07 am

can't find the drivers list now Neil but off hand i would say it was just the 2 dutch lads that didn't turn up,maybe they were booked in by the same person who booked 203 in last week at Pr1mo  lol! 
Back to top Go down
piet 98

Number of posts : 1627
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:42 am

Spannerman wrote:
can't find the drivers list now Neil but off hand i would say it was just the 2 dutch lads that didn't turn up,maybe they were booked in by the same person who booked 203 in last week at Pr1mo  lol! 
the dutch lads has something to do with the st maarten meeting that was canceled on 8 may and were be raced today 29 june and it,s a wq for the world final cheers 
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:31 pm

thanks for clearing that up piet
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:49 am

Well. How is the new system working?
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 am

What new system Question
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm

The central booking system (book in via Sophie....except for Cov'). The bookings appear to be much more accurate now and even the numbers of cars racing appear up on last year slightly.
I hope a record of those drivers choosing to leave the sport are kept on record; along with the reasons for doing so. This way any trends can be nipped in the bud and the sport kept on track.
Either way a big well done to Sophie and those who took this on board cheers

Last edited by Grafter on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carlton

Number of posts : 1575
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:22 pm

On a slightly differant note I saw on Facebook that any driver who had a booking for this weekends Hot Rod World final weekend that didnt cancel their booking if they had a problem by midnight last night would be fined £50 !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: F1 driver bookings   

Back to top Go down

F1 driver bookings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next