ALLSTOX FANS FORUM

Stock Car Fans Forum for Results, Banter and PIZZABET

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sprint cars at Coventry

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Are you looking forward to seeing sprint cars at the next 2 Coventry meetings (F1 dates)
Yes
46%
 46% [ 13 ]
No
54%
 54% [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
Grafter

Number of posts : 2114
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Sprint cars at Coventry   Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:48 am

Reasons if you so wish.......
Back to top Go down
Stoxmania Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:57 am

Purely personal opinion and preference but I'd rather see a non-banger (nothing against attending a 'big' National Banger meeting) contact formula.

The Hotstox offer excellent support, Minis (either brand) are always good, National Saloons or F2; these all rate as more entertaining at a shale F1 meeting. I have nothing against the Sprint Cars and have the greatest respect for all racers, they are just not my cup of tea along side F1, they may well be great at a non-F1 meeting with a smaller engine formula but I do not feel they complement F1 or appeal to the same crowd.

This is not an 'F1 or nowt' type attitude, personally I attend more F2 meetings than F1 but that long monthly trip to Coventry is special and I'd prefer different support.

Having said this I would certainly not let it stop me from attending.
Back to top Go down
andy11

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:35 am

On the plus side they whack round at great speed they sound good and never cause delays.
On the minus side there are never enough for other than Demo type races, they rarely overtake and there are far more entertaining formula that could be out there. F2's  national saloons all race at cov just not with the F1's
Solution: Get 40 sprint cars out there affix bumpers reinstate the rope and post, oh and red and white Barrels of course........ Nurse Nurse I'm dreaming again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:07 pm

I have to say the sprint cars sound great and are a quaint little demo for a once a year showpiece.....more than that is a bit too much for me. What they really need is a decent sized banked oval to see them really get wound up.......sadly there is no such venue here in the UK and I can see them going the same way as the likes of Eurocars/Ascar. Now them little ones with the Triumph speed triple engine showed some promise but they disappeared as fast as they came........anyone heard any more of them?
Back to top Go down
saaben

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Daft question time.

Are these the same sprint cars that are racing at
Lydden next week?

Never seen sprint cars before so totally in the dark.
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

Number of posts : 6497
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
saaben

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Back to top Go down
nikeastwood

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2007-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:17 pm

have seen the sprint cars a couple of times at cov and I was impressed by them having never seen them for real, just on youtube

they were much bigger in size that I thought, track although big as cov is, was too small but I thought they did well, it was just annoying that only a handful ever turned up despite many more being booked in.

the smaller 3cyl sprints they tried, well they looked good didnt they? the one that they had for a demo never run properly which is never going to help, there was obviously no interest in how they were going to be run [all on hire's] or were too expensive for a formula that wasnt even a formula at the time, and [?] dont think they are now.

however the UK Modifieds were good round coventry, affordable to buy and compete in, and hires are available!! see them at www.ukmodifieds.info , races are run quickly, and the cars sound good and go even better.

Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:30 am

It would appear th speed triple spints have dissappeared off the face of the ovals. The principle was sound and the price was right imo (just turn up and race and a car would be waiting there for you preped and ready to go each meeting) you just had to pay about for the season up front......about 3k from memory.
The spint car look has a bit more impact on the eye than the modifieds shape........maybe those engines in a smaller sprint chassis would be a good set up?
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:40 am

Well the Sprints appear to be a "Marmite" formula at present judging by the results.
Back to top Go down
Carl H

Number of posts : 1686
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 am

The last thing oval racing needs is yet another new formula with half a dozen cars.
Back to top Go down
savage567

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 pm

here's a daft question, how do I actually vote?

I'd have anything that isn't bangers.

The sprint cars are a bit like a parade though unfortunately.

Would rather have contact stock cars/saloons etc
Back to top Go down
DaveW329

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:09 am

Ask the people in the know why F2 and saloons don't appear at cov with F1's you will get a straight answer
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:28 am

Who are the people in the know?
Back to top Go down
Chris H

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Sprint cars   Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 pm

Personally I prefer to watch the grass track lads, having a race instead of the promotional spectacle of sprint cars!
Back to top Go down
DaveW329

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Grafter ask Jeremy he is open and will always give you the straight answer
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:58 am

Ok thanks. Always found JH very approachable and open to giving an opinion. Maybe a little hasty in drawing conclusions at times as I recall he once had it in for the V8 stox and them being the main instigators of the track cutting up (narrow tryes). But since the the new track curator has been on the team the track has improved ten fold. I remember JH saying the track was going to have major work done to the base during the summer but unless this has alredy happened I think that one has been put off for now. Lets see how the V8's fair tonight as I bet they will be fist on track and it looks like being a wet track to start off the night.
Back to top Go down
DaveW329

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Well there was a new track man but not now and last night I knew if rain stayed away it would dust up very quickly and so it proved watering for first F1 race
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:12 am

I did not know the new track guy had gone already...... what happened? The track was spot on though and the drains must have been in good order. As for the predictions...... could we have them pre meeting next time  Laughing  ..... I think mine were pretty close and they even swapped the first two races round to put the V8's on first.
As for the sprints its still a case of the track not being big right for them and a once a year showcase being enough for me. Btw who scrutineers the sprints? I know the cars come from the states and almost ready to race but the seat belt mountings on a few of them were down right dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sprint cars at Coventry   

Back to top Go down

Sprint cars at Coventry
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1