Share | 

How does Mylaps work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grafter

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: How does Mylaps work?   Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 am

Was looking at some race times and I saw that the race times for drivers who have been lapped only show the time up to their position when the winner crosses the line http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3118459 . Does this mean that any change in position for the lapped driver after the checkered flag goes unrecorded (as there is no lap time for their last lap) on Mylaps?
Also with this technology (OK so not every transponder gives a perfect singal all the time for some reason or other) would it not be worth announcing who achieved the fastest lap of each race and their time?
Back to top Go down
Timekeeper@GMP

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: How does Mylaps work?   Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:25 pm

What you will find is that there are various settings/controls that you can have set up within the software so I can only really speak about what happens at Cowdenbeath, on a typical race for example where there might only be say 9 cars left running all be it some of them are say a lap down, the software will automatically place the lap down runners as soon as the leader crosses the line to take the chequred flag as it knows there are no other cars running, we usually have the software set up to classify cars from positions 1-10 but you don't have to use this function at all if you chose not to basically it just makes it easier for compiling results and points etc, if it was a championship you could set this to any number you like as you might need more qualifiers in the heats.

The fastest lap is always displayed on the screen and I know we do try to draw this to our commentators attention especially if it changes from driver to driver during a particular race.

In a nutshell the system is very good but personally I'd say it doesnt have all the functions we'd like it to have for our type of motorsport but I guess that is the drawback of using a system that is used in many forms of sport. The other thing I would say is yes it does lap score but in actual fact it is a timing system really.

Hope that helps to give to give you a wee insight into how it works.

Grafter wrote:
Was looking at some race times and I saw that the race times for drivers who have been lapped only show the time up to their position when the winner crosses the line http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3118459 . Does this mean that any change in position for the lapped driver after the checkered flag goes unrecorded (as there is no lap time for their last lap) on Mylaps?
Also with this technology (OK so not every transponder gives a perfect singal all the time for some reason or other) would it not be worth announcing who achieved the fastest lap of each race and their time?
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: How does Mylaps work?   Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks for the insight but one thing I was trying to understand is still unclear. In the link I gave as an example it shows Paul Harrison as having lapped everyone up to 7th place........ the remaining drivers are shown to have not completed race distance (19 laps), these same drivers finishing positions may have changed in that final lap. Surely Mylaps should be set up so that it keeps going until the end of the race......when the red flag is shown (the rule book used to say you have to keep racing until the red flag is shown).
Back to top Go down
nikeastwood

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2007-06-20

PostSubject: Re: How does Mylaps work?   Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 pm

when the chequered is shown the race leader has completed the required amount of laps, some drivers will sometimes be a lap or laps down, when they pass the flag they get placed as such, timing stops when the red flag is shown but the computer will most likely stop timing laps at the chequered

you cant end the race when all competitors have got to race distance, the leader could have done another few laps by then! and races would go on all night
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: How does Mylaps work?   Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:22 pm

rapidyellow wrote:
when the chequered is shown the race leader has completed the required amount of laps, some drivers will sometimes be a lap or laps down, when they pass the flag they get placed as such, timing stops when the red flag is shown but the computer will most likely stop timing laps at the chequered

you cant end the race when all competitors have got to race distance, the leader could have done another few laps by then! and races would go on all night

I beg to differ......the race will be exactly the same length as it is now. The red flag is shown once all the drivers in points scoring positions have completed race distance.
Its just that MyLaps does not appear to be set up/intuitive to show the race times/positions once each point scoring driver has completed race distance.
Back to top Go down
nikeastwood

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2007-06-20

PostSubject: Re: How does Mylaps work?   Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Grafter wrote:
I beg to differ......the race will be exactly the same length as it is now. The red flag is shown once all the drivers in points scoring positions have completed race distance.  
Its just that MyLaps does not appear to be set up/intuitive to show the race times/positions once each point scoring driver has completed race distance.

yes, red flag after all scoring positions, rest as stated
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: How does Mylaps work?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:09 pm

Another one deserving of a little bump back up the top as it's the Scottish weekend. Could be interesting to see how the minor places register.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does Mylaps work?   

Back to top Go down

How does Mylaps work?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1