Share | 

Your thoughts please.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grafter

Number of posts : 2114
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Your thoughts please.....   Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:47 pm

.....on this video footage (take a look at 50 secs in until 57 secs) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPoZfLAehIs . I missed this on the night and can't recall why Mr Yarrow had to take to the infield but I think this could be one of the closest get out of jail free incidents of late.
Back to top Go down
ex522

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:46 pm

I wasn't there so can't comment on why Mr Yarrow was where he was. But I've long thought these concreted 'unguarded' centre "greens" are an accident waiting to happen. Thankfully that was a very lucky escape looking at that clip. Lynn has the better idea of plenty more tyres.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:47 am

With all the H&S stuff I would have thought that this incident alone would be sufficient enough to make the powers that be wake up and install extra traffic lights around the tracks (after all the drivers appear to struggle to see a flag let alone some bloke gesturing with their hand to take a closer racing line to avoid a stranded car  No  ). With the extra lights the safety would be improved AND the jump starts reduced (no starter needed just a flick of the switch from race control = only one source for the race to begin). The flag man can then take to the rostrum for black flags/half distance flag and all remaining laps to give race positions and lap boards and of course the checkered flag.
Back to top Go down
kevin@racewall.net

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2007-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 am

A bit close -

Rather than new lighting etc, would it not be wise for all formula to start using the race ceiver system as the National Hot Rods, National Ministox, Mascars etc all do?

That way the steward can call a message 'car spun on turn 2, stay low' and all drivers would hear this - save's having a marshall run out and try and let the drivers know?
Back to top Go down
bwplive.com

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:37 pm

kevin@racewall.net wrote:
A bit close -

That way the steward can call a message 'car spun on turn 2, stay low'

and everyone crouches down? lol
Back to top Go down
pedro

Number of posts : 3027
Registration date : 2007-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Spot on Kevin.
I think every formula should be running raceivers. If it is a step in assisting with safety, and therefor preserving oval racing in general, then it must happen.
Oh and btw incarace, due to the field of vision in an F1, the marshall waving yellows on the inside of a bend, can hardly be seen.

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:42 am

Yes. Ideally there would be both a single, clear, visual type signal used alongside the raceivers in unison. Will it happen?.....who knows. But one thing is for certain.......now the issue has been raised, and if nothing is done, the repercussions don't bear thinking about should the worst occur.
Back to top Go down
bwplive.com

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:32 pm

NZ have lots of traffic lights around there tracks & drivers have to stop with in 1/4 of a lap when the lights go to red from racing speed, impressive stuff when you see the on-board videos!

'Raceivers' seem affective & are purchased by the drivers, I think we will see them in use before more traffic lights are added to tracks....
Back to top Go down
DaveW329

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 am

I remember talking to Simon after meeting and he did say it was a bit close lol however stood at other end of infield this sort of incident isn't that rare but sometimes what looks close to the spectator is actually a bit further away than you think. Strangely enough tho even tho Bangers are not allowed on infield for contact that is more dangerous than stock cars.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:43 am

Groundhog day...... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Holland

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:48 am

Coming so soon afther Ipswich incident it wouldn't look good at all.
As for the lights- I brought up the ridiculous situation concerning flag marshals - especially the use of the rolled up flag - over a decade ago in regard to NHRs and was told that I was out of order to dare suggest it as they do a good job and give up their valuable time to help the sport. The cars reached speeds long ago making the use of flags outdated.
Of course GP F1 still clings on to pit boards and they're doing over 200mph so maybe it's just our love of tradition  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:11 am

Looks like someone to has read Grafters gospel.....and it only took a year for stoxnet to catch up this time lol!
V8-108
My link:F1 fan since '76 Former Hotstox Chairman
Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm.......we keep going back to the starting question whenever there are a couple of dodgy starts or incidents like this one. The answer as I see it is certainly centred on lights around the track. There needs to be a set of lights clearly visible to drivers on any part of the track......but I would go further (as I have said before) and to all intents and purpose do away with the starter and his green flag. The cars start to roll and the green light can be applied at any point over a maximum of 2 rolling laps.....not necessarily as the pole sitter exits the bend, but when the cars are at any point on the track, as soon as the starter is happy he hits the green. This would also help with jump starts, if the drivers have no real idea when the green will come it is difficult for them to jump, and if they do it will be very obvious and penalties can be applied as necessary.
But as with many things there will be no change, as with the thread on the semis there is a consensus that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but there are many who think that things are broken and stale.....there are many aspects of our sport that need some sort of make over. There are also many aspects of our sport that I am more than happy to see remain more "traditional" (roof colours being one!) but to try to freshen certain aspects up can't really do any harm can it?........even if BriSCA seem more than happy to live in the past

Neil

#7 Race start's: post #7 Nigel H
My link:No 45
Posted Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Great Neil, sounds good too me, i have never yet seen a green flag dropped anyway, we just go when the others go, or if your lead car just go in the middle of the turn.

A green light at any point is a great idea.We would soon get used to where the light are, and look for the lights.
And here's a link that might lead to some cheap traffic lightsV8-108
That's not me in the picture!
Here's a link which might lead to some cheap lights
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Thousands-LED-bulbs-installed-Leicester-traffic/story-27564266-detail/story.html
Tick tock, tick tock.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please.....   

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts please.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1