Share | 

The future of the Piet Keijzer Trophy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chris24

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: The future of the Piet Keijzer Trophy   Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:14 pm

In 2005 at short notice following the tragic death of H10 Piet Keijzer, the UK fans decided they wanted to honour Pietís memory with a trophy presented at the World Final each year. I stepped up and offered to construct a replica of Pietís car as the centre piece of a trophy.

Several fans donated to the cost of the materials to construct the trophy. Joe Barlow constructed a case to house the model and Sophie Clark provided the engraved plaque for the base, John Nunn painted the signs on the model. In two short weeks the Piet Keijzer Memorial Trophy was completed ready to be presented for the first time at NIR on World Final day in 2005.

Each year I have taken on the job of making sure that the trophy gets returned to the World Final each year and only once has the trophy not come back on the day. Each year I clean the trophy ready to be presented again and make sure that everything goes smoothly on the night. The trophy is quite fragile and the model has had to be repaired extensively on World Final night on one occasion which took about 2 hours of my time at the race track.

After consultation with the Keijzer family, and all the people that helped with the construction of the trophy it has been decided that since Pietís race number was H10, it would be a fitting tribute to Piet to present the trophy for 10 years and then retire the trophy, have it engraved with recipients from the last 10 years and then present the trophy to the Keijzer family for safe keeping.

So with the blessing of the Keijzer family, it has been decided to retire the trophy after this yearís presentation at Coventry. Whoever wins the trophy this year will get to keep the trophy for 12 months but after that the trophy will be cleaned and polished, have the names added and then presented to the Keijzer family for safe keeping.

Thank you to Sophie Clark for offering to supply the name plaques of the winners to go on the trophy.

I hope that everyone agrees that this is a fitting future for the Piet Keijzer trophy and it also keeps the Trophy in safe hands as every year I fear that it could get badly damaged in transit across Europe each year.

There is the possibility that a Keijzer Family member may wish to present the trophy at Coventry with it being the final year for the trophy and I am awaiting a phone call from a Keijzer Team member and I will have a better idea after that. If this isnít the case though, I would still like to offer the opportunity of presenting the trophy on World Final night to a UK stock car fan.

As in previous years, if you are interested in presenting the trophy, please reply with your names on this thread and on the Monday prior to the WF at Coventry I will pick a name out of the hat and that person can present the trophy on WF night, unless the Keijzer family let me know that they wish to present it instead.

Thanks
Regards
Chris Clark
Back to top Go down
chris24

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Piet Keijzer Trophy   Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:00 am

Update - I have had a message from Wim at Team Keijzer which is posted below.

"Hi Chris,

Was at the workshop tonight and discussed your question about the Piet Keijzer Memorial Trophy. As it is the last time, we like you to present the trophy, to thank you for all the effort for this trophy, you should get the credit this year. We will all be at Coventry, and give you a big cheer,

Best regards from all of us at Team Keijzer"

So if thats what the team want then it looks like I will be presenting the trophy myself at Coventry. Sorry to anyone that has submitted their names already but I have to respect the Keijzer teams wishes on this. Sorry to have got anyones hopes up but I wanted to be ready cover all bases once I knew what was going on regarding presenting it this year.
Back to top Go down
Graham

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2007-07-01

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Piet Keijzer Trophy   Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:25 am

I think that is a nice gesture from the Keijzer Team in recognition of the hard work Chris has put in over the years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Piet Keijzer Trophy   

Back to top Go down

The future of the Piet Keijzer Trophy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1