ALLSTOX FANS FORUM

Stock Car Fans Forum for Results, Banter and PIZZABET

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Should the World Final really be called the World Final.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
A1 NOS

Number of posts : 2182
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:56 am

Now I'm not posting this to stir anything up, just to manufacture some debate.

Should the world final really be called a " world final".

Is the grid that lines up on Wf night in Cov really a reflection of the "world". Can a few Dutchmen, a yank and a kiwi really be fair to call it a World Final.

Have the current grids had the largest overseas list of drivers?

Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's does anyone know how many foreign entries we had?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.driveandprotect.com
StannieH36

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:44 pm

In my opinion no, I was thinking about it a couple of weeks ago and this is how i thought about it.

Let every country just run their own meetings and go to every country one weekend a year, so in F2's what is my area, NI - Holland - IoM - Austria - Scotland and England. You got 6 countries now. Let 4 countries host 2 qualifiers each, i would prefer to do both qualifiers in 1 weekend in each country to attract other drivers to travel further and get better grids on each track. The other 2 countries are the once who get the semi's and world.

Or let 5 countries host the qualifiers and let 1 country host both the semi's and world final.

Still not a real world final as the world has hundreds of countries over the planet but only 6 compete as they are the only countries what race BriSCA stockcars.

Just an opinion thought!
Back to top Go down
bm7921

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm

So should baseball have a world series (when only usa teams play) should bangers have "world champion " in thier different classes even though sometimes nobody is invited from abroad to race. You could question virtually every "world championship"

we have a product that does have a limited appeal abroad be it holand new zealand etc. So yes in my opinion it is a world championship race as drivers from abroad may take part. Just like the 240 world championship in New Zealand.
Back to top Go down
A1 NOS

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:20 pm

bm7921 wrote:
So should baseball have a world series (when only usa teams play) should bangers have "world champion " in thier different classes even though sometimes nobody is invited from abroad to race.  You could question virtually every "world championship"

we have a product that does have a limited appeal abroad be it holand new zealand etc. So yes in my opinion it is a world championship race as drivers from abroad may take part. Just like the 240 world championship in New Zealand.  

To be fair its ok for the Americans to call it The World Series because in Americans eye, the world begins and ends in their own county.
There's only about 400 Americans have passports Shocked

Just because the bangers and saloons ( same difference) have world finals doesn't make it right.

I think if half of the grid was Jonathan Foreigner then you could call it a world championship.
Anything less well it's not cricket.
Maybe the WF should really be a British Championship and at NIR the next day we could have the British Masters.

Same rule of thumb applies to the Euro weekend. Back in the day you had literally dozens ( well maybe 10+) racing and how many this year.
Was it 2.
Back to top Go down
Premier

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:58 pm

The baseball world series has its name because it when it started the sponsor was a newspaper called New York World nothing to do with being best in the world.
Back to top Go down
BobtheBuilder

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 am

Oh come on..........don't knock a sport when it's already struggling!
The BriSCA World Final has been around for 60 years. It is OUR World Final, the pinnacle of our sport, the most attended meeting by fans and drivers of every year.
Every sport has to have a major highlight throughout the season. As has been mentioned, the Bangers run their own World Finals without any foreign entrants - F2's, 1300cc Saloons, National Saloons, Superstox, Hot Rods, Rookie Rods, V8 Hot Stox all have World Finals with either none or definatley less overseas entrants than the F1's.
Why don't we just scrap all of these and deprive the fans of the highlight of the season?

We're not Formula One GP, Premier League Football, Rugby, Cricket, Athletics; we're not a global sport. There are incarnations around the world but not many resemble our own BriSCA brand. We don't have pots of money to splash about. We do the best with what we've got and the World Final is what our whole season is based around.

This arguement comes up every year around World Final time. Just leave well alone. To us it IS a World Final - all drivers score points through the qualifiers, race in the semi's and then have one race to become our WC and proudly wear the Gold Roof for 12 months.

Are you saying the late, great Stuart Smith, Frankie Wainman Snr, Mike Close, Dave Chisholm, Andy Smith, John Lund etc are NOT true World Champions? Ridiculous!

Back to top Go down
BobtheBuilder

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 am

The BriSCA World Final has been around for 60 years. It is OUR World Final, the pinnacle of our sport, the most attended meeting by fans and drivers of every year.
Every sport has to have a major highlight throughout the season. As has been mentioned, the Bangers run their own World Finals without any foreign entrants - F2's, 1300cc Saloons, National Saloons, Superstox, Hot Rods, Rookie Rods, V8 Hot Stox all have World Finals with either none or definatley less overseas entrants than the F1's.
Why don't we just scrap all of these and deprive the fans of the highlight of the season?

We're not Formula One GP, Premier League Football, Rugby, Cricket, Athletics; we're not a global sport. There are incarnations around the world but not many resemble our own BriSCA brand. We don't have pots of money to splash about. We do the best with what we've got and the World Final is what our whole season is based around.

This arguement comes up every year around World Final time. Just leave well alone. To us it IS a World Final - all drivers score points through the qualifiers, race in the semi's and then have one race to become our WC and proudly wear the Gold Roof for 12 months.

Are you saying the late, great Stuart Smith, Frankie Wainman Snr, Mike Close, Dave Chisholm, Andy Smith, John Lund etc are NOT true World Champions? Ridiculous!

Back to top Go down
BobtheBuilder

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 am

Back to top Go down
steven

Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:01 pm

I'me with Bob the builder! The 'World' is actually more of a 'World' than it ever has been - Certainly it is a grandios title inaugurated back in the sports infancy - truly only Holland and New Zealand and, perhaps Australia, offer anything close to our style of racing - and this year the Dutch qualification - very hard fought for - is 10 with NZ and a guest racer from USA - One can contest the 'title' itself however the race should be 'quality' in terms of driver ability and overseas drivers that can compete at a similar and competitive level. Remember BriSCA F1 is unique across the globe as the Big Daddy of FULL CONTACT big bhp racing = a sport where angels fear to tread.

Interestingly tickets have gone to 11 countries [ 14 if you include Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland ]!
Back to top Go down
Two Putt Shakur

Number of posts : 1969
Localisation : I'M SORRY NICK FALDO COULDN'T BE WITH US THIS WEEK. HE'S ATTENDING THE BIRTH OF HIS NEXT WIFE
Registration date : 2007-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:44 am

BobtheBuilder wrote:
The BriSCA World Final has been around for 60 years.  It is OUR World Final, the pinnacle of our sport, the most attended meeting by fans and drivers of every year.
Every sport has to have a major highlight throughout the season.  As has been mentioned, the Bangers run their own World Finals without any foreign entrants - F2's, 1300cc Saloons, National Saloons, Superstox, Hot Rods, Rookie Rods, V8 Hot Stox all have World Finals with either none or definatley less overseas entrants than the F1's.

We're not Formula One GP, Premier League Football, Rugby, Cricket, Athletics; we're not a global sport.  There are incarnations around the world but not many resemble our own BriSCA brand.  We don't have pots of money to splash about.  We do the best with what we've got and the World Final is what our whole season is based around.

This arguement comes up every year around World Final time.  Just leave well alone.  To us it IS a World Final - all drivers score points through the qualifiers, race in the semi's and then have one race to become our WC and proudly wear the Gold Roof for 12 months.

Are you saying the late, great Stuart Smith, Frankie Wainman Snr, Mike Close, Dave Chisholm, Andy Smith, John Lund etc are NOT true World Champions?  Ridiculous!

You're absolutely right. I think this event is very special and very we'll presented, and to suggest a debate on a world title status right or wrong, I simply shake my head sideways I'll be honest.

No disrespect to A1 but this is exactly the reputation type thread posted on the other channel.

Even down to the World Champion not at least featured on a commemorative t shirt can get me to change my mind lol! Until the hairs stop standing on my neck with the feel of a World Championship night of action, I'll still class this as a worthy title even if not worldly recognised. I mean I couldn't even tell you who the World Rallycross champion is!
Back to top Go down
A1 NOS

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:02 am

Hey guys not trying to cheapen the event in any way.

Along with starting a lap at The Nurburgring it's that time when I genuinely have butterflies and wouldn't be any other place in the world.

It's just when ( non racing ) mates question me about the " World" final I don't really feel as well equipped to handle the argument as I'd like to be.
That's all.

Sure next weeks World Final will be epic and the winner a worthy recipient of the trophy and title.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

Number of posts : 2114
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:46 am

Just tell 'em it sounds better the alternative....... The Anglo,Netherland,U.S and NZ championship lol!
Back to top Go down
Les Waller

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:43 am

YES!!! It should definitely be called the World Final for me as it has representation from all corners of the Stock Car World. The fact that there isn't a representative from Paraguay etc should not detract from such a prestigious event.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hardieracepromotions.co.uk
Carl H

Number of posts : 1686
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:08 pm

A1 NOS wrote:
Should the world final really be called a " world final".

No. It's usually Heat 3.

The idea of a World Championship came from competing promoters trying to outdo one another in 1955, the thought being that an advert for the stock car world championship sounded more grandiose than one saying stock car racing.

There was never any suggestion that the entire world would be represented.

Ultimately, it's just a name. You can make similar arguments for that place in the Midlands being called Coventry Stadium when it's not actually in Coventry, or hot dogs not being made of dogs, to pick just two examples.
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

Number of posts : 6497
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Grafter you forgot the Aussies lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should the World Final really be called the World Final.   

Back to top Go down

Should the World Final really be called the World Final.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1