F2 National Points chase

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
carlton

Number of posts : 1575
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: F2 National Points chase   Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:06 pm

As we all know Gordon is banned until 28th june.

Anyone trying to take his title has had, will have plenty of oppurtunities before he returns. Today however at the solus Sheffield date only George MacMillan was present of the Scottish contenders.

Can Burgoyne or Wallace take the title racing tarmac only , or is it already down to a two man race, MacMillan verse Moodie when he returns ??
Back to top Go down
rocky12

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:11 pm

If George keeps going the way he is it will be hard for Gordon to catch him but would never rule Gordon out of anything . 16 and 647 will score plenty points as well on tarmac . Think 647 has his shale car up for sale . Its going to be interesting
Back to top Go down
J4LMP

Number of posts : 1985
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:33 pm

What about 38 Dave Polley Mr F2 man?... He must be in with a shout if he decides to go for it?
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:44 pm

No sorry J4, not going to do enough meetings and not got the desire any more.

DP prove me wrong !!??
Back to top Go down
Stoxmania Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:46 am

Having watched Dave in this weekends meetings he is arguably still one of the very best out and out stock car drivers in any formula, rarely the fastest on the straight (guess the fact that he a a big chap does not help) but 'robust' does not even get close as he seldom has a quiet bend let alone a whole lap but this season I suspect team Polleysport are truly backing George's campaign and F2 has a fantastic asset in that. The cars look awesome and to see a Scottish driver also really mixing it regularly on shale for point that are hard earned with all the tracks so far from home is fantastic.

There is still a whole lot of season to go but the efforts that our current World Champion and his team and backers are putting in can only be admired.

Last edited by Stoxmania Admin on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scott

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-11-10

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I think it's pretty clear that wee George is going for the silver roof. He isn't just travelling to show off his gold roof - he's booking in whenever and wherever he can to try to pick up as many points as possible before July. I also reckon that if Team Polleysport has to choose between the two, they'll back George all the way.

I'm hoping for a close battle for silver at the end of the season - it's something that F2 have missed out on for a lot of years now, but this one could be a cracker!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chequeredflagpublishing.co.uk
J4LMP

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:36 pm

For me, it's gonna be between these two! Moodie is good, but by the time he returns to racing he is going to be 600 or 700 points behind surely. Too much to catch up!
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Respect to both J4, but they will need to have more points in the bag than that to topple him, (in my opinion)
Back to top Go down
J4LMP

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:52 pm

carlton wrote:
Respect to both J4, but they will need to have more points in the bag than that to topple him, (in my opinion)

Really? If and when Gordon returns and he's 600 or so points behind, both George and Dave will be racing atleast once if not twice a week, scoring points, he'll have to race 3 or 4 times a week and constantly out score them to even have a chance! There is also 16 Wallace and 3 Rennie taking big points week in week out! George has already won 3 finals? and won a race at every meeting he has attended! Big ask from the Moodie to claw that back!

Think this might just be a too much even for Moodie, however, it should liven things up if Moodie hits the ground running and starts scoring bags of points and puts pressure on George and co...

Fingers crossed for a close finish! I might even go watch a few F2 only meetings again affraid affraid affraid

Last edited by J4LMP on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
J4LMP

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Dave Wayne's assessment! (Can Moodie do this?)

Moodie will be able to do 48 meetings if he races at every possible opportunity once his ban ends. Based on his average of 35 points in 2014, this would give a final total of 1680 points.
Therefore for a driver to beat him over the full season, the number of meetings they would need to do depending on their average would be :

30 point average - 57 meetings
25 point average - 68 meetings
20 point average - 85 meetings

There are 90 racing dates in next years calendar, so it would still take some serious commitment and travelling to win the title in 2015 but maybe one or two drivers will see it as their best chance to wear a silver roof and will give it a go.

The other thing to take into account is that it is unlikely that Moodie will manage to attain the same average in 2015 as he will have to go where the racing is rather than picking and choosing his meetings. To do all 48 would mean 3 visits to Belle Vue and one each to Kings Lynn and Stoke which are unlikely to yield massive points hauls for him.

Think the shale points as Dave says will be the problem for him to be able to claim his crown again!
Back to top Go down
bwplive.com

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Its going to be interesting, personally I think its too much of an ask. Dont count Moodie out on shale however, he won a world final on the brown stuff and competed happily with the 'shale lads' plenty of times the following year. Its not because he cant drive on it, he chooses not too.
Back to top Go down
Dave Wayne

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:23 pm

I am not sure that George is particularly chasing the silver, but the gold roof appears to have attracted additional sponsors (as we often see) which is allowing him to attend more meetings and show off the gold roof. The accumulation of points is a by-product of this and will stand him in good stead if he decides to go for silver.
However, if you talk to the man himself, I think you will find that he is prioritising retaining gold over silver as will be evidenced this weekend when he races at world qualifiers on less familiar tracks rather than potentially higher scoring meetings closer to home.

Obviously, with his ability to adapt as proven by his results yesterday on his first ever visit to Sheffield (23 points including a GN win), George is likely to score well wherever he races.
The first 5 weeks of the season have seen him score 245 points, an average of 49 points per weekend, so with another 12 weekends before Moodie returns he could have over 800 points on the board by then. Throw in a busy Easter weekend, a couple of bank holidays in May, and maybe a couple of midweek Skegness' and that could be over 900 points.

Moodie could come back and do every possible meeting, but can he score more points in 4 1/2 months than MacMillan can score in 8 1/2 ? On current form I would say the answer is no, but can George continue this form throughout the season ?
As has been said by others, it is potentially the most interesting points battle since 2008, but that one ended abruptly when it looked delicately poised.
There is still potential for others to chase the silver roof as well, with Burgoyne and Wallace still looking well placed and only dropping away this weekend due to the lack of a tarmac meeting on Sunday.
Polley is also a bit of an outside shot as he is attending more meetings than he has done for a few years, probably in more of a supporting role to MacMillan, but still racking up a fair few points and has the experience of having been there and done that so I wouldn't rule him out of it just yet.
I don't think Rennie is consistent enough yet, particularly away from his regular haunts, but his time may come in the future.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

Number of posts : 2114
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 am

What a strange system for winning the silver roof.....don't they have it decided over the last few meetings of the season with a double points round at the end?
Would it entice a few more drivers to go for the silver roof if it was decided on average points scored in each grading period (based on a minimum number of meetings attended in that grading period). Then at the end of the season the worst grading period score dropped (that would allow for injuries/mechanical issues/holidays/bans ect)?
Back to top Go down
Scott

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:33 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
I am not sure that George is particularly chasing the silver, but the gold roof appears to have attracted additional sponsors (as we often see) which is allowing him to attend more meetings and show off the gold roof. The accumulation of points is a by-product of this and will stand him in good stead if he decides to go for silver.
However, if you talk to the man himself, I think you will find that he is prioritising retaining gold over silver as will be evidenced this weekend when he races at world qualifiers on less familiar tracks rather than potentially higher scoring meetings closer to home.

Hi Dave - after writing my previous post, I listened to Jonny Hoare's new F2 podcast yesterday (http://stoxradio.blogspot.co.uk/p/f2.html) and George pretty much said exactly the opposite - he is going for the silver roof, and will choose to race where he thinks points are available rather than going somewhere new just to show off the gold roof.

Credit to him for going public with his aims. I'll certainly be watching his season with interest!

I must admit I was doing other stuff while listening so hope I didn't mishear or misunderstand him!
Back to top Go down
Scott

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 am

Yep, I just listened again to check, George couldn't be clearer - he's going for it!

Fast-forward to 26:30 on the podcast if you don't want to listen to the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Dave Wayne

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:05 pm

Fair enough Scott. Can't really argue with that.
George did tell me at the opening Kings Lynn that he was planning to go for it but wasn't going to shout out loud about it till he saw how the first month went, so I want mentioning it till he had put it out in the open himself.

However, I stand by my other comment that he is still prioritising retaining gold over chasing silver as I am sure he could be confident of a bigger points haul at Cowdenbeath and Barford, than at the world qualifiers at Stoke and Bristol.
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:32 pm

We are all, and I include myself in this group, ASSUMING that George is going to go for it, and Gordon is prepared to defend it.

Having a fairly long conversation with Gordon at the Ben Fund presentation evening it is obvious that this is his preferred trophy, the one he sets out at the start of the year to win.

Don't forget though that Gordon has also stated that he will be doing some Superstox racing at Lochgelly .

So missing a few shale dates, and doing a few Superstox dates might mean that Gordon has already decided that this year may well not be his, which begs the question, is anyone else prepared to go for it ?

My under dog, but don't discount him, Craig Wallace.
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Grafter said "What a strange system for winning the silver roof.....don't they have it decided over the last few meetings of the season with a double points round at the end?
Would it entice a few more drivers to go for the silver roof if it was decided on average points scored in each grading period (based on a minimum number of meetings attended in that grading period). Then at the end of the season the worst grading period score dropped (that would allow for injuries/mechanical issues/holidays/bans ect)?""

Voted on and discussed a few times in the past Grafter at AGM's and BOC meetings. Voted to leave it as it is/was.

No F2 drivers committee anymore so if it was to change it would be down to the promoters as the drivers have no say on the issue.

Personnally I'm all for leaving it as it is. National Points Championship, awarded/won by the most dedicated driver out there over a full season, March 1st to middle of November.

If you win it it is down to personal pride, can't remember when the prize fund was last updated but if you win silver you win a grand.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Maybe I'm just being too logical in my vision of a silver roof being based upon a drivers outstanding season long average points haul. But at the same time not having to try and do a crazy number of meetings to be in with a good shout.....some drivers can't commit to THAT much time/expense. Add into this the ability to drop their lowest grading average (for reasons already stated); this should interest more drivers to give it a real go.
So if you fancy a challenge, Carlton, then tell me who would have been the top 3 average highest point scorers from last season based on the following criteria....
1; take a drivers average points from each grading period (a driver must have competed in at least 5 meetings in all but one grading period to be eligible).
2; it doesn't matter if a driver does more than the minimum 5 meetings in a grading period....ALL points from All meetings, in the grading period, will be averaged out.
This will give us a true reflection of commitment and talent.
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:40 am

Have not got a clue Grafter ??

top three on averages from last season I would guess Moodie, Bradbury and Dawson ?
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:36 am

Ok. Thanks anyway Carlton. I suppose I could put the same question to Mr Wayne but he seems to be keeping stum when asked a direct question (a bit like Mr Rees) scratch
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Grafter, top five averages at the end of last F2 season were Gordon Moodie 34.7, Graham Kelly 31.1, Chris Bradbury 29.6, Stuart Kelly 26.9 and James Rygor 23.7.

Carlton
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Sorry Grafter forgot to add meetings attended.

Moodie, 63, G Kelly 11, Bradbury 41, S Kelly 11, Rygor 33
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Sorry Grafter forgot to add meetings attended.

Moodie, 63, G Kelly 11, Bradbury 41, S Kelly 11, Rygor 33
Back to top Go down
Dave Wayne

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Grafter wrote:
Ok. Thanks anyway Carlton.  I suppose I could put the same question to Mr Wayne but he seems to be keeping stum when asked a direct question (a bit like Mr Rees) scratch

Plenty to look at this year without revisiting last years stats. Both Carlton and myself have made attempts to change the way the F2 national points is awarded in the past and both been shot down in flames by those at the top who are happy with the current format.
You seem to be full of ideas that you keep posting on here so maybe you should try putting some of them directly to the people that are in a position to make changes ? Or would that require you to use your real name and not fit in with your current ethos of stirring things from behind a pseudonym ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: F2 National Points chase   

Back to top Go down

F2 National Points chase
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next