SCM interview with Deane Wood by Beaks.

Is Deane UK Stock Car Racings Saviour?
Back to top Go down
big mac

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:31 pm

No.
And if he ever gets his hands on BRISA F1's they're finished. End of story.
Back to top Go down
beaks

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:51 am

big mac wrote:
No.
And if he ever gets his hands on BRISA F1's they're finished. End of story.

I'd say he'll need to find the missing 'C' first before he starts to wreck the job...
Back to top Go down
http://www.thekfoundation.com
sausage

Number of posts : 2526
Registration date : 2010-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:46 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
big mac

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Fair play beaks...
Back to top Go down
steven

Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Interesting 'debate' on the dark side which seems to have 'gone' off on a tangent somewhat to firstly the subject of start and prize money, admission prices and then World Masters.

First admission prices and a comparison to Arena Essex on Sky last week - Indeed, 1800 people attended at a reduced price of £5 [ remember Duncan Ballantynes saying - Turnover is vanity [ in this case a big crowd on Sky ] Profit is sanity. A normal audience would be around 900.
So the Hammers income was £9000 at £5 - 900 @£ 17 would equate to £15300! This weeks crowd will be back to the normal level. Not a great business decision unless you take into account £10k staging fee payable from Sky that bumps income to £19000. Over 100k per club also comes back to the Elite League from Sky - the actual lifeblood that keeps it afloat - Based on 14 home meetings, 100k provides a subsidy per meeting of around 7k - It can also devalue the product. Stock Car Racing does not enjoy such kickback.

World Masters is a perennial issue, as a shale promoter I would have serious concerns of a shale track being fit for 2 hard days of competition let alone 3. The sport has been exceptionally lucky over the last 15 years in not having a big WET WEEKEND - by the law of averages, there will be one - Our last WF on shale had back up plans and IF bad weather Friday certainly would have to be sacrificed.

I understand the 'travelling cost' element etc, I understand the politics of the situation and that Brafield Motorsports would have to be involved in any decision but setting that aside I do not believe 3 days on shale is viable or practical.

Taking the bigger picture, Ipswich could not run 2/3 days consecutively at their World weekend, there are as many cons as there are pros in this evaluation to offset 'likes'.

Deane has bought the absolute right's to be master of his own destiny and any investment he wishes to make, but the Spedeworth business model since it's inception has been 'stand alone' in every aspect with BriSCA when it returned a 'guest' formula. With the addition of Incarace, now Inca-Spede are fully involved in BriSCA and bring a lot to the table. However, operationally the cultures are very much different, we have F1 wise a Drivers Association, the sport is more collaborative and works as much as possible with 'each other' - Contrary to myth it isn't a closed shop but given the level of decades of investment in the product by drivers and promoters, is it a free for all for anyone to try and 'cash in' - Not dissimilar to other Oval formulae whose USP is jealously guarded - rightly - as to where they appear.

Compared to many other sports, BriSCA remains quite vibrant with knowledgable and passionate fans and drivers [ and promoters ] it has diversity of venues and presentations that differ and hopefully provide a means to raising the bar. All of life is about 'Likes,desires and more importantly 'need too's'

I read some weeks ago that BriSCA could do more 'promotionally' with places such as Goodwood - to the best of my knowledge we have never ever been invited to formally participate for one. Then the overall cost would need to be evaluated if we did v what return the sport may get.

NEC has 80,000+ attendees, things such as Coventry Motofest with 100000+ visitors where participation comes at a very nominal and viable cost and excellent ways forward - similarly Ormskirk MotoFest.

I'll get my hat and coat!
Back to top Go down
Stoxmania Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Steven, it is always very interesting to get the input of someone with a promoters perspective as it adds facts rather than wild speculation so I hope that your hat and coat stay firmly on the peg in here!

I have yet to read the article by Beaks but look forward to buying the magazine when I'm next at a track (I have a mid-season break about now most years although I still get to anywhere between 30 and 50 meetings per year to see a variety of contact formula).

Obviously the Brisca / Spedeworth divide has historically been a long and bitter one and it is good to see the 'Northern' formula racing on some of the 'less Southern' of Deane's tracks (although it takes it further away from my home location).

Many years ago I lived and worked close to the old Aldershot track and recall Deane as a fierce racer and very controversial character (I used to mechanic back then before I could afford to start my own unsuccessful but enjoyable racing 'career' for a few years in the late 80s and early 90s). It is interesting to see how Deane has become such a big influence in the wider sport. I don't claim to agree with all of his decisions but he does seem to try hard to offer options to suit a range of budgets to the Southern drivers and I'm inclined to believe that the Southern scene benefits from his involvement.

These days Deane is often projected as the 'arch-villain', primarily by those who are more Brisca aligned and I suspect it is just part of the old 'them and us' thing. I'm really not convinced that view is even close to being fair, Obviously anyone who is obliged to make decisions to keep the business (and therefore the wider sport) running will always attract a degree of criticism as the nature of the human character is to be averse to change but then that did not help the dinosaurs did it so decisions do need to be made.

Clearly each promoter within Brisca will wish to protect their own interests whilst working together to protect the sport, my own guess would be that Deane's experience will offer a lot to the wider group although the Spedeworth / Incarace business model may differ from some is various subtle ways.

Whilst I never expect to see it, it would be interesting to see how F1 would fare in the far South of the UK. For what it is worth I suspect that their Banger and Rod formulas are so deeply ingrained with the spectators, and therefore the potential driver-base, that F1 would struggle to make any lasting impact but that is purely a personal opinion.

Hopefully I've managed to avoid the subjects of admission prices, World Masters and prize money. Time is too short to start down those paths as I fancy a pint before closing time!
Back to top Go down
carlton

Number of posts : 1575
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Come on folks, add your opinion, its allstox so opinions on all stocks formulas are allowed.

Regarding F2 and Superstox especially !
Back to top Go down
Grafter

Number of posts : 2114
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:04 am

Here we go again......going round in circles like a goldfish in a bowl or a stockcar driver lol!
Any how thats what we all love so lets say it again.....
Something I wrote a while back which I feel should be kept in mind........A stock car can only be constructed from road legal OE parts approved by the BSCDA (these parts may be modified to an agreed spec' after consultation with the BSCDA technical committee). If OE parts become rare/unobtainable then aftermarket alternatives will be sourced and added to an approved list of parts. Other after market parts can only be added to the approved list if they are of similar cost to the OE part (or less) and they do not lead to major performance gains which would result in more expenditure on other drive train parts due to more strain being put upon them. Engines would still be unlimited/naturally aspirated/cast iron block.
If any after market parts become rare/increase in price significantly or quality deteriorates.....then drivers will be given notice of these parts being removed from the approved list....Something I wrote a while back which I feel should be kept in mind........A stock car can only be constructed from road legal OE parts approved by the BSCDA (these parts may be modified to an agreed spec' after consultation with the BSCDA technical committee). If OE parts become rare/unobtainable then aftermarket alternatives will be sourced and added to an approved list of parts. Other after market parts can only be added to the approved list if they are of similar cost to the OE part (or less) and they do not lead to major performance gains which would result in more expenditure on other drive train parts due to more strain being put upon them. Engines would still be unlimited/naturally aspirated/cast iron block.
If any after market parts become rare/increase in price significantly or quality deteriorates.....then drivers will be given notice of these parts being removed from the approved list.
A sound understanding of what the sport and cars are designed to be gives a strong foundation for future drivers and promotors to have confidence in. This in turn gives a positive message to any future sponsors. Too much room to change the basics and this leads to insecurity.
Or this topic .... http://allstoxforum.niceboard.com/t7643-business-plan
But what is really needed imo is for the stockcar drivers from all the contact formulas to group together and buy a couple of stadiums outright eg. FC united Manchester https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_and_provident_society (similar to what Murray Harrison wanted to do about 15 years ago; when a F1 strike was looming. I seem to recall that involved start money back then also......btw just think of it a bit like child benefit.....not everyone needs it but nobody's going to say no to it as its not means tested). That way the drivers will have the necessary control/stability to control their own destiny and put any profits into promoting themselves and reinvesting in the stadia (non of this dead money renting nonsense). Other stadia/promotors would then have to side up with the drivers if they wanted some dates.
Oh and just as a side note on promotion....how about trying to sneak a couple of cars in here (as its 60 years since the first stockcar meeting in London) http://regentstreetmotorshow.com/record-breaking-motor-show-returns-to-regent-street-in-central-london/ ?
And for anyone interested in the structure of Spedeworth in the Uk https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/search?q=spedeworth+
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:58 am

Well if America leads the way in oval racing then this article will make hard reading for Dean......
In 2009, Ocala Speedway in Florida was a 3/8-mile paved oval track. The owners, commercial pilot Mike Peters and banking executive Angie Clifton, bought the failing track in late 2005. After a few years of declining crowds and competitors, they faced a choice: Close it or make it dirt. They hauled in 350 dump truck loads of clay for $100 a load— yes, from a secret location—and dumped it on top of the asphalt.

The crowds came back. For the most part, though, "it was a different crowd," Clifton said. "People will travel longer distances, it seems, to watch dirt racing." When they took over the paved track in 2006, a crowd of 1700 showed up for the grand opening. After they reopened as a dirt track, they drew 4137 paying customers the first night.

It's not just the love of flying dirt and local drivers, though, that has dirt-track racing on the rise. The recession has been tough on all forms of racing, many short tracks included, but some racing lovers say dirt may be built to survive. For 30 years, Pennsylvania schoolteacher Guy Smith has been writing a weekly column for Area Auto Racing News called "Roaming the Raceways." Smith's hobby is "track chasing," where he and a surprising number of other race fans try to visit as many different speedways, in as many different locations, as they can, tallying up an ongoing total the way birdwatchers add to their "Life List."

Smith has attended races at 1366 speedways, so he's seen dirt-track success up close. "I think dirt short-track racing is weathering the recession better that asphalt short-track racing," he says. "I believe the biggest reason is that the dirt tracks are cheaper to race at than paved tracks." In some car classes at paved tracks, a driver needs a new set of tires a week to be competitive. Dirt tracks are easier on tires, and since the tires spin coming out of the turns, horsepower is less important than finesse and handling. There are more crashes on dirt (good for the fans), but they tend to be less damaging (good for the drivers).

"Less-expensive cars mean more people can afford to race," Smith said. "More cars means more people buying pit passes. More cars bring more fans. Who wants to watch a handful of cars run the feature race every week?"
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

Number of posts : 6497
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:17 am

Grafter you will find a few brits on the trackchasing list colin casserley,spike n linda rixon,myself sir stirling moss to name a few
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:58 am

1366 is some going though.....are they all ovals? and in the USA? (I thought there were only 900 ovals in the US unless he visited 400+ which have closed in the past 30 years or have been one off event tracks; a bit like some of the Dutch dirt tracks which move around to slightly different fields each year).
Anyhow.....whats that saying......."where there's muck there's brass"? Our sport is crying out for a decent new clay/shale oval in order to move forward and keep pace with the cars using it.
#Buildittheywillcome
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Grafter his upto date total is 1624 at 1259 locations from 23 countries,1165 ovals,239 circuits,220 F8 tracks but that pales into insignificence to the world #1 who has over 2000 tracks 60+ countries !!!
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:27 pm

The trackchasing brits

#45 Spike Rixon 280
#48 Colin Casserley 257
#50 Mark Kelly 251
#63 Rick Young 219
#71 Peter Burge 201
#79 Sir Stirling Moss 173
#87 Me 157
#102 Ian Fowle 125
#116 Robin Shaw 122
#117 Alison Fowle 121
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deane Wood, the way forward ?   

Back to top Go down

Deane Wood, the way forward ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1