Share | 

GPS timing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grafter

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: GPS timing    Sat May 14, 2016 11:40 am

Having seen some fantastic telemetry from a recent cross country running event it got me thinking.
Is the Mylaps data really THAT good for our sport and still fit for purpose?
Here's a high end example of what is already out there in the market place; which is tried and tested.
http://www.sportvision.com/motorsports/racefx®
I know Mylaps have dabbled in this and probably have something similar in the pipeline but just research what can be achieved.......
*accurate lap scoring
*maps that can show racing lines/corner cutting
*can pinpoint drivers who jump starts/restarts
*can identify drivers who pass under yellows/caution
It would also help engage a younger audience who wish to follow the sport on their mobile devices (during and after the event (some sports already do this via a paid app.)
So the technology is there so how about a feasibility study?
Back to top Go down
trimal

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Sun May 15, 2016 6:24 pm

First thing that springs to mind is "How Much".
My Laps does a job and is necessary, but present thinking in F2 for instance, is reducing racing costs.
New technology generally means new costs.
Obviously the fact I'm old and tight comes into my thinking.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Sun May 15, 2016 8:46 pm

I know where you are coming from trimal (the benefits must outway the costs); that's why I said a feasibility study would be needed. The sport HAS to keep up or it will only be looked upon as a dinosaur.
The current inductive loop system was in use in many sports long before BriSCA stepped into the ring. This system has been around for over 5 years now and cheaper set ups than the one I've highlighted are now coming on stream.
I dare say nothing will come of this.....much like the extra traffic lights and doing away with the flags (except for the chequered) I've talked about in the past (even a tip on some cheap lights resulted in nowt).
Then I talked to a sound engineer re. One way radios in cars and pointed out that noise cancelling mics could be the answer...... some testing was due to take place at Buxton last year but I never heard the result of this test.
Back to top Go down
trimal

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 am

Never been a fan of in car radios, since the days of Ellis Ford.
Anyway I'm deaf!
Back to top Go down
steven

Number of posts : 1255
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Mon May 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Read a tweet from a top driver on subject of MyLaps - cannot help but agree that progress in this area puts the focus on technical and therefore expense. Provides fantastic 'info' not sure it does much for the racing
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Mon May 16, 2016 6:39 pm

The info' the system provides, would imo, engage the younger fanbase more and keep/grow future attendees .....more punters=more money Steve! It would show the sport to sponsors in a more ambitious light as well.
It would pinpoint offending drivers like never before and bring about fairer racing.
The system would be a one off cost......unlike tyres at £100+ a go and control shocks at £150+ a go.
A little more thought needed though I agree.
Back to top Go down
nikeastwood

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2007-06-20

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Tue May 24, 2016 6:22 pm

ORCi tracks, some ORCi formulas and BriSCA formulas have invested heavily in AMB Systems since around 2004, the equipment is very expensive [but very good quality] for the promoter, and the transponders expensive for drivers, but its like money in the bank - the resale value of them is amazing and a driver starting in ministox etc can keep their Tx until they eventually leave Oval racing, and if they want to sell up sooner they will get a respectable amount back.

Now called just "MyLaps" the company have brought out a new type of Tx that does have GPS etc, I can see value in that for circuit racing and rallying, but not ovals.

The oval tracks use the system primarily as a secondary lap scoring system and not for timing, sure the drivers like the timing side of things to help develop their cars, perhaps cars have come on more in recent years due to that info being available to them, in a way perhaps it has made drivers think more about set up, and in turn spend more money to get that little bit quicker over their competitors in car development.

One thing that is overlooked by many, is that the system has to be portable, taken from track to track by its operators, this is one of the reasons that not many [if any?] UK tracks have MyLaps scoreboards.

And like everything computer related, transponders and equipment go wrong from time to time and that will happen with ANY timing system.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Tue May 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Thanks for your thoughts nik. But oval racing is using this system to good effect already; as mentioned in my first post. Also this system is a way of engaging NEW FANS (and old) and helping them get to grips with whats going on. I agree that there has been a great deal of investment in the current transponders but the technology excludes fans at the track as there is no live scoreboard.
More analysis required.......
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Well the subject of corner cutting is a hot topic once again. Like I have said already a feasibility study of this system may show that the perpetrators can be brought to book quickly and the need for dangerous infield marker tyres ect. eliminated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GPS timing    

Back to top Go down

GPS timing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1