Share | 

Sheffield F1 semi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grafter

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Sheffield F1 semi   Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Why is it that the turn out of F1's is so low for a high profile event? Folk keep saying Coventry won't be missed that much when it's gone......but they get a better turn out for a domestic meeting (heck, they even get more overseas entrants for a domestic meet than the Euros lol! ). Is the Sheffield track too tough? (It didn't seem that way 15 years ago under the previous promoters reign) or is it the pit space? It can't be that its too fast now as the cars are slightly slower than when they raced Hoosiers back then.
I genuinely can't put my finger on it......any offers?
Back to top Go down
trimal

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield F1 semi   Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:17 am

Although the turnout is low compared to Coventry its still a fair few cars, many of whom are not in the semi so not forced to go.
Difficult to say why.
It is fast and the fence hard, but Steve Rees has made improvements to the fence with extra ropes that seem to do the job, pits have been cleaned up and enlarged.
He's even scrubbed the F2s to make space which gives me a break.
Maybe as the drivers see the improvement the numbers will rise.
From the crowds point of view, the back straight viewing is sadly missed, but this does not really affect drivers.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield F1 semi   Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:56 am

Agreed. Don't get me wrong I love the place and the improvements are a big plus. Maybe it's still the fence though.....if you hit it on the turns you have a better than 50:50 chance of coming away from a big hit unhurt (unlike the solid walls of many tracks these days) but if you snag a post exiting the turn you can find yourself stationary in the fastest section of the track (whereas armco you would glance off and carry on).
I think it just shows how the sport in general is crying out for a national stadium that raises the bar above that of Coventry.
Anyway off to Sheffield now. Good luck to all the drivers.....especially captain carnage aka Brocky!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield F1 semi   

Back to top Go down

Sheffield F1 semi
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1