Share | 

Dust

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grafter

Number of posts : 2114
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Dust   Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 am

Yep, it's one thing a lot of folk moan about and the now it appears that some of the tracks neighbouring properties are also not too happy. The good old days of adding old engine oil to the shale (to help keep the shale bound together) are long gone and now a new new proactive solution needs to be found......watering during race stoppages is a bit of a farce (some will say "it's the same for everyone" but this is not the case when a car has been set up for a dry race finish and someone else has taken a gamble on the water truck coming out....it's a lottery). It is not just a case of altering brake bias in the car (although this can help compensate) but also a cars cross weight would need to be altered to gain the optimum grip for the conditions. This could lead to drivers claiming other drivers having insider knowledge/help from the promotion (anyone remember the Rob Speak F2 world final win at Swindon and what happened there?......Rob was not a happy chap and refused to collect the trophy).
So lets see what proactive options are out there. I will set the ball rolling with either high pressure foggers mounted around the track (not sure how effective these would be but I have seen them in the past used along the University Boulevard tram works in Nottingham.....could be set up reasonably cheaply using very fine spray nozzles from an agricultural suppliers). Or failing that, try this http://www.aironeinc.com/Air_One_Monsoon.pdf (could be run off a tractors pto on the centre green and directed to stop it bothering neighbouring properties). This would be far more consistant throughout the race and hopefully far more effective.
Even a couple of powerful pressure washers create a massive amount of mist when aimed into the air so that would be another quick thing to try.
Lets face it.....if the yellows don't come out then its going to be dusty until the end of the race anyway.
Back to top Go down
andy11

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Drying of the track from "sticky to dust" in 8 laps or so is pretty much unique to the F1's with those wide tyres and huge amounts of power. The only time I can remember them not drying out a track on a dry night is the infamous november coventry when even they couldn't cope in the slurry.

Kings Lynn is the only track that waters during a race (I believe)and despite being on an industrial estate I suppose even the neighbours there don't like a coating of dust to clean off windows /vehicles I just felt although the tractor went around at pace it still overwatered it and quite often if it's half way through a race when the yellows come out there are a lot less cars to return it to racing speed. Are we getting near to the time when they are looking for an excuse and will yellow it just because it's getting dusty.
A compromise might have been using just half of the boom on the tractor reducing the amounts of water and consequently the amount of slipping and sliding into the wall that most drivers suffered in the restarts.
Having said all this the track is the best looked after anywhere, the racing 10/10 so if thats how it's got to be to ensure survival then we'd best get used to it, like we did with silencers.
Back to top Go down
waine399

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Speedway bikes have a form of mud guard to stop the shale being thrown upwards off the rear tyre, just wonder if there is something similar that can be developed to stop shale going upwards off the rear tyres

Waine
Back to top Go down
Spannerman

Number of posts : 6497
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:24 pm

The dutch used to use them
Back to top Go down
nikeastwood

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2007-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:40 pm

its stockcar racing, on shale, the track can be different every race

if it had of been pissing it down you would all be moaning that the track was too wet, should a tractor go round with a huge drier?

ffs
Back to top Go down
bm7921

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Its not the same as if it had rained. Raining is a natural occurance nothing we can do would change that. . Watering a track is not.
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:27 am

rapidyellow wrote:
its stockcar racing, on shale, the track can be different every race

if it had of been pissing it down you would all be moaning that the track was too wet, should a tractor go round with a huge drier?

ffs

Well its much better to be proactive than just burying our heads in the shale. I'm sure all promotors have to do risk assessments for the good old elf and shafty lot. Shale is just one element and in the form of dust is a hazard (all forms of dust/smoke are treated as carcinogenic these days). There are many types of shale for various applications and I would have thought that any company supplying the shale would be able to provide a safety data sheet for it....this is one source out of interest http://www.breedon-special-aggregates.co.uk/speedway-shale
So using the pressure washer as a cheap hire in test solution, I recon 2 or 4 13Hp Hondas drawing from a 55 Gallon drum would use approx 17.5 Gallons in 5 minutes. This could be rigged up to a oscillating rig to cover a wider area (clamp the pistol to a window wiper set up and leisure battery to power it). I think this would be the cheapest short cut to see how effectively it would perform.

Ps......what is ffs?
Back to top Go down
sausage

Number of posts : 2526
Registration date : 2010-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:07 pm

"F__, F___'_, S___".
1st word, sounds like surname of legendary Manchester utd striker Dennis.
2nd word, sounds like something you do in your mouth after inserting a hard boiled sweet.
3rd word, sounds like a male duck.
Back to top Go down
carlton

Number of posts : 1575
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:17 pm

1st one, Cantona, French bloke, drop kicked some one in the crowd ?

Other two not got a clue !!!

LOL, cheer up Sausage
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:52 am

Tut tut......I thought this was a family forum.
Anyhow, Coventry should be spot on as is the norm this season. The weather gods are sending around 2" of rain between 5am and 10am, so it will have 8 hours the soak in (provided the drains are still nice and clear).
Back to top Go down
sausage

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:23 pm

F.F.S, Carlton...
Let's try again..
1st word, sounds like an implement one would use to cut wood.
2nd word, sounds like what England batsman Mike Gatting should have done.
3rd word, sounds like the word folk used to use, to describe a certain F1 promoters booked in to race list.
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Chain Saw, Got out of the way of THAT bouncer, spot on !!!
Back to top Go down
sausage

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Hmmm.
Answers for first wave of clues Carlton, was 'Law', 'Suck' and 'Drake'...
"Dennis Cantona" P.M.S.L.

Answers for 2nd lot.
'Saw', Duck' and 'Fake'...
Back to top Go down
carlton

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:05 pm

It was a toss up between Dennis or George to be honest, never once thought of going for Eric and his sardines !!!!
Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Well with little over a month to go until the F1 world final and the dust/watering issue is raising its head once more at Kings Lynn.....with SSJ saying he might be taking out one extra opponent if it tries to come on mid race in the big one. I've not seen nor heard of any alternative being used (is shale the best race surface media for F1's or is this more for the speedway bikes? Would clay be any better? As previously mentioned the likes of Bardon can make a race suface to suit the application ). Also no sign of alternative dust suppression being tested even though the present situation is not great....why?
Back to top Go down
sausage

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi... My name's Sausage, you'll probably remember me from such hilarious posts as........erm...??...................erm.......?.
Well i'll come back to that one. Neutral ..
Anyhoo.. I reckon at Shale meetings there should be a great big glass dome instead of a fence so we could watch something like a BIG brown snowstorm ornament.
I wont be at Kings Lynn anyway as it's not big enough to host a world final & the subsequent crowd.

Sausage. Married with 2 kids.

Back to top Go down
Grafter

PostSubject: Re: Dust   Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Im surprised that no one has highlighted this article yet.......so i will http://www.hotrod.com/features/1502-dirt-track-prep-procedures/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dust   

Back to top Go down

Dust
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1