Shale aerofoils on stock cars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
doyley

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am

I wonder if any one agrees with me,i think the aerofoils on shale cars are hideous looking contraptions and spoil the look of most of the cars.The stuart smith car looks awesome but all the scaffolding on the roof looks awfull.I think the tarmac aerofoils look the part and give an appearance of speed and aerodynamics but is the shale wing neccessary.Sprint cars dont use them so is there any reason for them.This is just my opinion,but all my friends who go racing agree.Some opinions on this would be interesting.
Back to top Go down
dpw76

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:50 am

I think they look fine... different from the tar aerofoils, but I can't say they look 'hideous'
Do they actually work or not.. well that's upto a better man than me to judge...
Just feel you're going a bit OTT with the rant doyley.. It's a bit like saying 'don't front bumpers look ridiculous.. why cant they look like the back ones' different item, different job..

Just my thoughts..

Regards, David
Back to top Go down
Walker 647

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:44 pm

I dont really see what a wing has to do with a car looking nice.If you want to judge something on how it looks then go to a fashion show lol! As I have always said it is not how the car looks that matters it is how it goes that does.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Back to top Go down
Carl H

Number of posts : 1686
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:52 pm

doyley wrote:
I think the tarmac aerofoils look the part and give an appearance of speed and aerodynamics but is the shale wing neccessary.

You got it right with tarmac wings "giving the appearance" of aerodynamics.

Ask anybody that sells them, and I'm sure they'll tell you that they do "work".... depends what you expect them to do though! Very Happy

Aerofoils have been debated plenty of times before, on Stoxnet and Never Enough Stox. Have a search on there for the relevant threads.
Back to top Go down
Carl H

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Here's one thread about aerofoils.

http://www.never-enough.co.uk/stox/stoxforum/index.php?topic=340.0
Back to top Go down
doyley

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:42 pm

dpw76 wrote:
I think they look fine... different from the tar aerofoils, but I can't say they look 'hideous'
Do they actually work or not.. well that's upto a better man than me to judge...
Just feel you're going a bit OTT with the rant doyley.. It's a bit like saying 'don't front bumpers look ridiculous.. why cant they look like the back ones' different item, different job..

Just my thoughts..

Regards, David

I was only asking what people thought hardly a rant old mate.i just think the cars look more appealing with a tar wing,rather than a garden fence on the roof. lol!
Back to top Go down
stoxjack249

Number of posts : 4908
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:59 pm

doyley wrote:
dpw76 wrote:

Just my thoughts..

Regards, David

I was only asking what people thought hardly a rant old mate.i just think the cars look more appealing with a tar wing,rather than a garden fence on the roof. lol!

Shale wings in my opinion look alot nicer than the tarmac ones do, Make the car look alot nicer and most do go well with the cars. I perfer the shale wings than i do tarmac ones to be honest, Alot more attractive and make the car look nicer.

Jack
Back to top Go down
http://www.sim-stox.co.uk
the councillor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:12 pm

worst invention in the history of the sport No

i've studied aerodynamic theory and blah blah blah but they look awful. ridiculous.

tar wings, yes.

sprint car wings, yes.

the wolf's wooden wing, yes.

shale wings, no... i'd rather they were 2 seconds a lap slower than have those things on the roof Rolling Eyes

nothing's as bad as the new zealand mini wings though Razz
Back to top Go down
Scon

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:22 pm

I thought the shale wings were designed that way in case of a roll-over, stops them having a total roll stops them on there side or to cushion the blow in the event of a biggy?? scratch scratch Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
chris24

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Personally don't mind either shale or tarmac wings.
I can see the principle of shale wings as they should push the inside rear wheel back onto the track due to body roll as the car turns left and thus help grip.

Not quite sure though what advantages the tarmac ones do though as tarmac cars don't go sideways (usually)
Back to top Go down
Scon

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:40 pm

chris24 wrote:
Personally don't mind either shale or tarmac wings.
I can see the principle of shale wings as they should push the inside rear wheel back onto the track due to body roll as the car turns left and thus help grip.

Not quite sure though what advantages the tarmac ones do though as tarmac cars don't go sideways (usually)
They do if Tim Warirck (spelling) behind the wheel!! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Kruiz

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2007-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:41 pm

I like both tarmac and shale wings, I don't think they suit f2s particularly but look right at home to me on an F1. I assume the large surface area only comes into affect when the car is sideways (in a drift) allowing more control, whereas that would be needless on tarmac, but quite useful on shale I would imagine, and when point in the right direction (forward) there is minimal surface area allowing the cars to build up a greater speed on the straights.
Back to top Go down
Mike Ashcroft

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2007-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:07 pm

My tar wing deffinatley worked, made climbing into and out of the car much easier 'cos I'd got something to grab hold of lol!

Tbh I think both look fine and at least they provoke interest and comment from newbies? Effective? Not too sure but I think the shale ones have some effect in the turns (not that i'd know) whereas I guess the tar ones are more of an advertising hoarding.

M
Back to top Go down
http://www.ashcroft.stoxnet.com
dougie

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm with you on this. Horrible if not stupid looking bloody things.
Back to top Go down
wildy

Number of posts : 2338
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:08 pm

I disagree, nowt wrong with shale wings IMO, and they make our cars stand out from the other motorsports out there.
Back to top Go down
dougie

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:36 pm

When I talk to fans of other motorsports about shale wings, 90% of them say they look rediculous and ask how they could possibly work.

My answer is that I have no idea if they do or they don't but I'd bet money on the latter.
Back to top Go down
Stu Baxel

Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Looks like I am pretty much on my own here, but personally I like to see aerofoils on cars, shale or tarmac.there are, as a see a number of advantages to useing them, from my point of view, there is a big area to put the drivers number on display, I have noticed at a wet shale event the last place to get covered in shale is the aerofoil, ( must make it easier for Mr starter and lap scorers) it also affords a nice bit of advertising space, although I do recall I think it was James Potter going a touch overboard at Coventry with his, it must have been 6ft high !I also believe in a roll over it must cushion the impact, there are a lot of good looking stock cars out there,and I think the aerofoil is an extension of the looks,to my mind a car now days with out an aerofoil looks dated, this is only a personal opinion, but as a fan since the mid 60s. I think I would like to call it progress.
Back to top Go down
Jambo

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:40 pm

get rid of wings altogether, i think they look loads better without, as my avatar.

Interesting wing fact. i saw the sprint cars at Oskaloosa last year, on the first night they ran wings and lapped at approx 15.6 seconds on a half mile dirt track then on Tuesday night they ran wingless and were 5 seconds a lap slower. The racing is slower but much more exciting to watch.
Back to top Go down
wildy

Number of posts : 2338
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:56 pm

I agree to a point, off track the cars look better without wings, but for me a whole line of wings sliding round Sheffield at full chat is a sight to behold! pirat

As for looking ridiculous to other motor fans......I bet they still recognise a Brisca Stock car everytime they see one though! Basketball
Back to top Go down
Carl H

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 pm

chris24 wrote:

That's apparently the theory, but if it's true, then why do so many drivers go around the bends at Coventry with the inside front wheel on the kerb? That's not gonna help the inside rear wheel grip the track. If anything, it's going to tip the car over and make the outside rear grip the track more...... Cool
Back to top Go down
Rigger Man

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Like a few others I don't dislike the aerofoils as I do think that to the casual observer they make our cars stand out a bit more from other forms of motorsport. I have a few F1 pictures as screensavers on my PC at work and when anyone asks about the cars the first thing they always say is 'what's that on the roof?' (Not sure if that's a positive or negative for wings though? scratch ).

One thing I don't agree on though is the health aspect of the wing providing a 'cushion' in the event of a roll. Whilst I'd agree that the wing can relieve some of the initial impact, in my opinion this advantage is far outweighed by the possibility of the wing being crushed around the sides of the cab and preventing the driver getting out quickly if he needed to (or paramedics getting into the car to attend to an injured driver?).

As to whether or not they actually help increase speed, I think I'm left guessing like everyone else:

Shale wings - I can see the logic behind them generating downforce and therefore grip to the outside rear wheel when the car is sideways. This extra traction would then give more speed on exit of the bend to carry down the straight.

Tar wings - I don't think they can have much effect at all. What is interesting though is that although most of the shale wings are usually put in similar positions on each car, drivers experiment a bit more with tar wings. Dan Johnson has had his quite high above the cab (as did 97 on the old silver tar car). 22 has tried his really far forward (as I think did 391 when he ran the yellow shale car on tar). Maybe someone's got some pics....

As for the little wings above the front axle, I'd be amazed if these had any effect (surely they're just more metal to get bent?). Not too long ago Moodie tried a really thin wide wing on the front of his F2. Each to their own I suppose cyclops .

I think wings definitely make a difference in certain forms of motorsport but mainly in ones where the speeds involved are much higher than in our cars - because the forces generated and importance of the airflow direction are much greater at say 100+mph. Haven't GP just banned all the numerous wings and arms on the FIA F1 cars?

Just my ramblings lol! .
Back to top Go down
mrtz_718

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Rigger Man wrote:
I think wings definitely make a difference in certain forms of motorsport but mainly in ones where the speeds involved are much higher than in our cars - because the forces generated and importance of the airflow direction are much greater at say 100+mph. Haven't GP just banned all the numerous wings and arms on the FIA F1 cars?.

I can see where your coming from with the speed aspect, but i think because the tar wings cover the whole roof, not just stick off the back of it like a superstock, the upsidedown plane wing bit is longer helping with downforce at lower speeds (not 100 %). With the shale wing im not sure its for downforce on the outside rear (maybe it does), I think it is to cause sideways drag. With it having a much bigger surface area and not being very aerodynamic surely it would cause quite a lot of sideways drag helping reduce drifing. I could be very wrong though lol!
Back to top Go down
Steve C

Number of posts : 2661
Registration date : 2007-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:33 pm

I like 'em they are unique to our sport and most are well signwritten and painted.
They do make it easier to get in. lol!
Back to top Go down
oval smash 09

Number of posts : 1232
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:04 am

I would'nt fancy keeping hold of one of those shale wings

in 50 to 70mph wind speed Shocked i think they knock off

some body roll/weight transfer,and work to a certain degree

if driven hard,i think most of us have grown to like them as

part and parcel of brisca f1,and on a safety aspect, do cushion

the blow on the event of a roll over. Smile
Back to top Go down
Carl H

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:01 am

mrtz_718 wrote:
i think because the tar wings cover the whole roof, not just stick off the back of it like a superstock, the upsidedown plane wing bit is longer helping with downforce at lower speeds (not 100 %).

Why do you need downforce at all, and what would be the optimum amount?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shale aerofoils on stock cars   

Back to top Go down

Shale aerofoils on stock cars
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next